In today’s digital marketing world, websites are very much necessary for taking a step towards digital marketing. Making a website has become very easy, especially in past years due to the platform of WordPress. Many hosting platforms such as Namecheap provide very cheap WordPress hosting and so anyone can make a website easily and can enter the world of digital marketing. These hosting platforms sometimes provide free SSL certificate with their specific plans but other plans don’t provide or somewhat basic cheap plans which are the starter ones for beginners don’t give free SSL with them. But there are platforms made only for SSL certificates like Certbot (Let’s Encrypt) that give free SSL for WordPress and so, in this article I’ll show the step-by-step method of how to get a free SSL certificate for WordPress on PC by using Let’s Encrypt Certbot Tool.
Let’s Encrypt free SSL certificate is for for 90 days and these are then renewed after the expiring time period and so you can say, they give free SSL for whole life. You just have to renew it. Some CDN platforms like Cloudflare also give free SSL for 1 year with its free plan also providing speed, caching and content delivery network (CDN) for your website.
Brief Introduction To SSL
SSL stands for Secure Sockets Layer. SSL certificates create an encrypted connection to win trust of your customer or someone visiting your website. It establishes a secure connection between a server and a client, typically a web server (website) and a browser.
Advantages of SSL Certificates
1) Visitor trusts you by seeing the padlock on his/her browser.
2) Your website becomes encrypted.
3) SSL protects your confidential website data.
4) It causes better search engine (Google, Bing) ranking.
5) Now-a-days, browsers support only HTTPS, SSL will secure your website by converting HTTP to HTTPS.
How To Get Free SSL Certificate For WordPress Using Certbot On PC?
Requirements to Get Free SSL for WordPress
1) Windows PC (I’ll using Winows 10)
2) Certbot Letsencrypt Installer For Windows: Download Here
3) Your little brain and time.
What is Certbot?
Steps to Get Free SSL Certificate for WordPress
1) First install Certbot on your PC and then open Command Prompt (CMD) as an administrator.
3) Type command “certbot certonly –manual“.
4) Enter in your domain name with .com at the end like this (e.g yourdomainname.com).
5) Then enter in your email and press Enter. Then type A (for agree) and Y (for yes) to every other CMD message.
6) Finally, it will ask you to create a file in your root directory of your website to verify your website. Now I’ll show you how to create this file.
How to Create Certbot File in Root Directory of Website?
8) Login in by entering your server username and password. Go into your root directory, and right click anywhere to open menu and choose “New” and then further “Directory” from the there.
9) First create a directory naming “.well-known” and then go inside this directory by double-clicking it and create another directory (the same way as you created first) naming “acme-challenge“.
10) Now, double-click to enter the directory “acme-challenge”. In it, right click anywhere to open menu and now create a new “File“.
11) Name that file by copying the highlighted data as shown below in my CMD. Just copy it from your CMD and paste it in new file name.
12) After creating that file, a pop-up box will open. You have to just copy and paste there the data key as highlighted in my CMD. Just copy it from your CMD and paste it in that pop-up box.
13) Then save that file by clicking the save button in blue.
14) Now go to CMD and press Enter. It will take some seconds and your certbot letsencrypt SSL certificate will be saved in your drive C (C:/Certbot/live/yourdomainname.com).
15) Now just install your SSL certificate into your WordPress website by cPanel or whatever your hosting provider has provided you with.
16) That’s it!
This is the easiest way to get free SSL and HTTPS for WordPress website. These certificates are for 90 days only. After 90 days, you have to renew your SSL certificate. Don’t worry as renewal is also free by using certbot letsencrypt tool or you can simply obtain a new certificate again by this method after 90 days and install it.